To give you greater flexibility you will not be charged a fee should you need to cancel 
your policy. T&C’s apply.

Who needs craft insurance?

If you create handmade crafts in the UK, which you sell online or at craft fairs, it is highly recommended you have specialist crafters insurance to cover you from unexpected incidents. Public Liability insurance for crafters will protect you should a Third Party (e.g. a customer or member of the public) bring a claim against you. 

Product Liability Insurance, specially designed for crafters, is required for crafts you make that may accidentally cause damage to a customer (or 3rd party using your product). For example, if a stool you have made and sold collapses and causes injury, this will cover you if a claim is made.

Typically, you will need an craft insurance policy, but for those involved in short-term or one-off events, such as a craft fair, you may not need annual cover, but should ensure you have the appropriate Craft Fair Insurance in place. Depending on your craft, you may also have stock, tools and equipment you wish to cover from loss, damage or theft, at your premises and whilst temporarily away from your premises.

If you employ staff or subcontract labourers for your craft business, you will need Employers’ Liability to protect you from claims that may include individuals becoming injured or falling ill due to your employment. Find out more from our sales team who are available Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm, on 01494 887909. 

Get an instant quote

Why choose us for your Crafters Insurance?

Cover for selling online & at events

Our craft insurance policy will cover you for selling your craft products online to UK and overseas customers. It will also cover you for selling your items at events like craft fairs and markets. 

Variety of crafts covered

We cover a wide variety of different craft specialisms, including jewellery makers, bakers, potters, painters, candle makers and many more. Request a quote to check what category your craft falls into.

Monthly Payment Options

We are one of the only online Crafters Insurance providers to offer monthly payment plans with 0% APR. This means you can spread the cost of your cover across 10 months.

Excellent Claims Handling​

Our specialist UK based claims handlers aim to deal with any claim you have, minor or serious, quickly, without causing disruption to your business.

What is covered with art and craft insurance?

Depending on the size and requirements of your business, you have the option to tailor the level of insurance for your craft business. Request a quote and select the insurance policy that is appropriate for you.

Public Liability Insurance for Crafters

Choose the level of public liability you require based on your business. Have cover to protect you against accidental damage or injury. For example, if a client comes to collect a craft you have made and trips and injures themselves on your premises, you could be liable to a substantial claim without this cover.

Craft Equipment & Stock Cover

In the event your stock or tools are lost, damaged or  stolen, your equipment or stock will be covered up to the value of £250 as standard, with options to increase this depending on your requirements.

Products Liability

This insurance extension is provided with the Public Liability cover and is designed to protect you should you receive any claims arising from any products and goods supplied by you to other parties, who may then sustain an injury to themselves or damage to their property.

Employers’ Liability

If you employ members of staff (even just one) then it is a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance in place. This means that if one of your employees is injured while working, and suffers financial loss as a result, your insurance will cover you for compensation.

I was really pleased with how my claim was settled. It gave me great confidence that Protectivity covers me when the worst happens.

Fantastic claims handling

Whilst the risk is low, there is always a chance of an unexpected incident, you might have to deal with. That’s why we’re committed to making our claims process as smooth and efficient as possible.

If you need to make a claim, just click the link below, select the relevant form and fill in the details and we’ll take it from there.

How much does craft insurance cost?

The cost of crafters insurance can vary depending on several factors. For example, if you employ staff then your policy will need additional cover in Employers’ Liability. Additionally, if you select equipment cover, the value you choose will be reflected in the cost.

You should expect to pay somewhere in the region of £50 to £100 a year for your policy or £4 to £8 a month. A small cost that provides protection for your business, against potentially expensive losses*.

Which crafts are covered by our insurance?

Our crafter’s insurance policy covers several different types of craft businesses.

If your craft isn’t listed – don’t worry, we’ll likely still be able to offer cover. You can give us a call on 01494 887909 to discuss your query further.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I include liability cover for subcontractors, who I use to aid my business?

A. This depends on your agreement with your subcontractors. Labour-only subcontractors (working under your direction) can be included on your policy of insurance, for work they provide under contract with yourself and your business only and should be included in the total numbers you provide in this application of insurance.

Bona-fide subcontractors (working under their own direction) will have to have their own insurance cover and cannot be included on your insurance policy but you will be obligated to retain proof of their insurance.

Q. Does your policy allow me and my staff to provide work using Heat away from our Premises?

A. No, not for the majority of crafts, your insurance restricts you to use heat equipment, only at your permanent premises. The exception is for hot air guns, soldering irons and/or engraving tools only.

Q. Are my tools and equipment covered?

A. Yes, in the event you lose, damage or have your tools stolen, your equipment will be covered up to the value of £250 with the option to increase up to £10,000.

Q. Is my stock covered?

A. Yes, should your stock incur damages, it will be covered up to the value of £250, with the option to increase up to £3000.

Q. Does your insurance cover me to distribute products overseas?

A. Yes, if you are exporting your products around the world, you will need cover for this distribution. Worldwide cover is available, with additional terms for the USA and Canada.

Q. Are my products covered in transit to my customers?

A. No, we do not cover products that are in transit to your customers. The courier services you use would be responsible for any incidents that occur.

Q. Am I covered to sell my crafts online?

A. Yes, our crafters insurance is designed for selling crafts online. 

This content has been created for general information and should not be taken as advice. Make sure you have the correct level of cover for your requirements. For full details on what is covered check our policy documentation with your quote.

*Prices refer to a quote from our website 27/10/2023. Prices will differ depending on requirements. Make sure you have the correct level of cover for your requirements. For the most accurate pricing get a quote. 

Have a question? Contact us...

If you have any other questions regarding our Crafters Insurance, then feel free to get in touch on 01494 887909. Our phone lines are open 9am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday. 

More information on what we can cover on this policy can be found on our FAQs page.