To give you greater flexibility you will not be charged a fee should you need to cancel 
your policy. T&C’s apply.

Liability Insurance for Home Baking Business

If you are a home baker such as a cake maker selling to the public in the UK, it is highly recommended you have specialist home bakery liability insurance to cover you from unexpected incidents. Public Liability insurance will protect you should a Third Party (e.g. a customer or member of the public) bring a claim against you. 

Product Liability Insurance, specially designed for home bakers, is required for goods you produce that may accidentally cause damage to a customer (or 3rd party using your product). Whether you need cake maker insurance or cake decorating insurance, there are a range of disciplines that can be covered under this policy.

You may also have stock, tools, and equipment you wish to cover from loss, damage or theft, at your premises and whilst temporarily away from your premises. We can provide cover for these items under our Home Bakery Liability Insurance. 

If you employ staff or subcontract labourers for your home baking business, you will need Employers’ Liability to protect you from claims that may include individuals becoming injured or falling ill due to your employment. Find out more from our sales team who are available Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm, on 01494 887909. 

Get an instant quote

Why choose us for your Home Bakery Insurance?

Fast & Simple Process

Our aim is to make buying insurance online easy, that’s why you can get a quote for your Crafters Insurance policy and buy your cover in just a few minutes.

Monthly payment options

We are one of the only online Home Bakery Insurance providers to offer monthly payment plans with 0% APR. This means you can spread the cost of your cover across 10 months.

Variety of food crafts covered

We cover a wide variety of different food craft specialisms, including cake making, cake decorating,  and many more. Request a quote to check what category your craft falls into.

Excellent Claims Handling​

Our specialist UK based claims handlers aim to deal with any claim you have, minor or serious, quickly, without causing disruption to your business.

What is covered with home baking insurance?

Depending on the size and requirements of your business, you have the option to tailor the level of cover you will need. Request a quote and select what is most appropriate for you.

Public Liability

Choose the level of public liability you require based on your business. Have cover to protect you against accidental damage or injury. For example, if a client comes to collect a craft you have made and trips and injures themselves on your premises, you could be liable to a substantial claim without this cover.

Employers’ Liability

If you employ members of staff (even just one) then it is a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance in place. This means that if one of your employees is injured while working, and suffers financial loss as a result, your insurance will cover you for compensation.

Products Liability

This insurance extension is provided with the Public Liability cover and is designed to protect you should you receive any claims arising from any products and goods supplied by you to other parties, who may then sustain an injury to themselves or damage to their property.

Equipment & Stock Cover

In the event your stock or tools are lost, damaged or  stolen, your equipment or stock will be covered up to the value of £250 as standard, with options to increase this depending on your requirements.

I was really pleased with how my claim was settled. It gave me great confidence that Protectivity covers me when the worst happens.

Fantastic claims handling

Whilst the risk is low, there is always a chance of an unexpected incident, you might have to deal with. That’s why we’re committed to making our claims process as smooth and efficient as possible.

If you need to make a claim, just click the link below, select the relevant form and fill in the details and we’ll take it from there.

How much does home bakery insurance cost?

The cost of home baking insurance can vary depending on several factors. For example, if you employ staff then your policy will need additional cover in Employers’ Liability. Additionally, if you select equipment cover, the value you choose will be reflected in the cost.

You should expect to pay somewhere in the region of £50 to £100 a year for your policy or £4 to £8 a month. A small cost that provides protection for your business, against potentially expensive losses*.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I include liability cover for subcontractors, who I use to aid my business?

A. This depends on your agreement with your subcontractors. Labour-only subcontractors (working under your direction) can be included on your policy of insurance, for work they provide under contract with yourself and your business only and should be included in the total numbers you provide in this application of insurance.

Bona-fide subcontractors (working under their own direction) will have to have their own insurance cover and cannot be included on your insurance policy but you will be obligated to retain proof of their insurance.

Q. Does your policy allow me and my staff to provide work using Heat away from our Premises?

A. No, not for the majority of food crafts, your insurance restricts you to use heat equipment, only at your permanent premises. The exception is for hot air guns, soldering irons and/or engraving tools only.

Q. Are my tools and equipment covered?

A. Yes, in the event you lose, damage or have your tools stolen, your equipment will be covered up to the value of £250 with the option to increase up to £10,000.

Q. Is my stock covered?

A. Yes, should your stock incur damages, it will be covered up to the value of £250, with the option to increase up to £3000.

Have a question? Contact us...

If you have any other questions regarding our Home Bakery Insurance, then feel free to get in touch on 01494 887909. Our phone lines are open 9am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday. 

More information on what we can cover on this policy can be found on our FAQs page.

This content has been created for general information and should not be taken as advice. Make sure you have the correct level of cover for your requirements. For full details on what is covered check our policy documentation with your quote.

*Prices refer to a quote from our website 27/10/2023. Prices will differ depending on requirements. Make sure you have the correct level of cover for your requirements. For the most accurate pricing get a quote.