What qualifications do you need as a personal trainer?

Starting your journey to becoming a personal trainer is exciting but with all the different courses that are on offer out there knowing exactly where to start can be a bit of a minefield.

Choosing a training provider that provides nationally accredited qualifications that are approved by the Register of Exercise of Professionals (REPs) is essential so that you can be assured that you have received the correct training and have been certificated as a safe and effective trainer.

What are nationally accredited qualifications?

Nationally accredited qualifications are those that are reviewed, recognised and monitored by official UK regulatory bodies in order to make sure that they meet specific criteria and quality standards. Those qualifications are then listed on the Register of Regulated Qualifications, where you can also find a list of recognised awarding organisations that have the power to award qualifications to be a personal trainer.

What is the register of exercise professionals?

REPs provides a system of regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet the health and fitness industry’s agreed National Occupational Standards. REPs provides assurance and confidence to the public and employers that all professionals on the Register are appropriately qualified and have the knowledge, competence and skills to perform their role effectively. You could call them the Checkatrade of the fitness industry.

How do you know whether the course is nationally accredited and REPS approved?

Before making a purchase with any training provider to get the qualifications needed to be a personal trainer, ask whether their courses are nationally accredited and REPS approved. You will want their response in writing so an email is best. It is unlikely that the organisation would be dishonest particularly in writing but you may want to be absolutely sure and contact the awarding body also and ask them if this course provider is one of their approved training centres. All qualification awarding organisations are listed on the official websites of the regulators. The most extensive one is the Register of Regulated Qualifications which can be found on the Ofqual official website.

What is the best course to begin with?

The level 3 diploma in fitness instruction and personal training is nationally accredited and REPs approved. Whether you want to work as a fitness instructor or a personal trainer, this qualification for personal trainers allows you to do so. You may wish to add on further qualifications such as the level 3 diploma in exercise referral if you would like to work with individuals that have specific health conditions such as hypertension and diabetes.

If you are still unsure which course is best for you Storm Fitness Academy offer free consultations to anyone considering a career in the fitness industry and will give you free advice on exactly what the best pathway is for you, whether you are just starting out or whether you are an experienced trainer hoping to develop your career further. You can contact them directly through their website.

Once you have those qualifications in place, make sure you’re covered with our comprehensive Personal Trainer Insurance.

Related Blogs

personal trainer with female client

Top 5 Benefits to Becoming a Personal Trainer

Thinking of a change in career? Why not join the thousands of other Brits making a living as a personal trainer? We've picked up the top 5 benefits.
Girl using small weights

Personal Training for Children and Young Adults

With obesity on the rise, more children and young adults are turning to personal training to get themselves in shape but do PTs need to train differently?

Fit Britain: The top places to become a personal trainer

Want to become a personal trainer but don't know if there is room in the local market? We've picked out some of Britain's top regions to start a career in the fitness industry.